Slip and fall injuries happen every day in New York State – some result in only minor scrapes and bruises while others cause broken bones,brain and spinal trauma. Not all injuries that occur due to falls are cause for legal action – sometimes falls are unpreventable. However, when someone falls and suffers serious injury due to a poorly maintained property, the legal concept of premises liability comes into play. At the Law Offices of Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, we represent victims and their families who have suffered because of fall down injuries. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a fall caused by negligence, contact the New York Law Offices of Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, today for a FREE consultation by calling, or you can submit an online contact form. We Make House Calls.
Duty of New York Property Owners
Property owners are required by law to provide safe, secure, and properly maintained premises – and they can be held liable for injuries when they fail to meet that obligation. If you have fallen and been injured on somebody else’s property, you may be eligible to file a claim for your pain and suffering, mental anguish and lost capacity for the enjoyment of life, as well as medical bills and lost wages.
Property owners are not always responsible for all injuries that occur on their property. The injured victim must prove two basic facts in order to have a legitimate case:
- That a hazardous condition existed AND;
- That the hazardous condition was either created by the property owner/employees, or was known or should have been known by the property owner/employees.
Property owners will invariably claim that they had no knowledge of the hazardous condition, and they will attempt to prove that the fall was, in fact, the fault of the injured victim. At the New York Law Offices of Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates, LLP, our attorneys work with qualified experts to evaluate slip and fall injury claims. We build a case that clearly explains what happened – and why. We also consider the other factors that can impact your case, such as whether the injury resulted from a natural or artificial condition of the premises, and whether the property was satisfactorily maintained and secured.
If you have fallen and been injured on someone else’s property, you should take the following steps to protect your rights:
- Immediately seek medical treatment for all injuries and follow all doctors’ recommendations for treatment;
- Report your accident to the property owner as soon as possible;
- Gather names, addresses and the telephone numbers of any eyewitnesses;
- Keep copies of all of your medical bills (even those paid by insurance) and off-work slips;
- You may also want to keep a diary to record your thoughts about your medical treatment or the pain and suffering caused by your injuries.
- Keep any photographs of the hazardous/dangerous condition which caused the fall, as well as any clothing or footwear worn at the time of the fall.
Property owners, their insurance companies, and their defense attorneys will be quick to contest your claim. Their goal is to minimize the amount of money paid out to you, regardless of the severity of your injuries – and regardless of the future harm that other victims could suffer if the hazardous condition isn’t properly addressed. You need a legal team committed to protecting your interests, securing the compensation that your specific injuries merit and holding negligent parties accountable.
Contact our NY Slip and Fall Lawyers Today
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a fall caused by dangerous conditions or other negligence, our attorneys are ready to help. We handle cases in Elmira, Binghamton, Watertown, Rochester, Syracuse, and throughout the state.
Contact the Law Offices of Scott C. Gottlieb & Associates for a FREE consultation by calling, or you can submit an online contact form. We Make House Calls.